I want to ask y’all to please be in prayer for South Georgia after that area has been repeatedly hit with destructive and deadly storms this month. I am originally from the Albany area and this is an area that sustained significant damage at the beginning of the month and again over the weekend. Several other areas of South Georgia were also hit over the weekend and the destruction is widespread. Lives have been lost, homes and businesses have been damaged and destroyed, and the devastation is significant to the area. It breaks my heart for those that have been affected, to say the least. So, I am urging all who read this to be in prayer for this area as recovery and restoration begins.
If you would like to help, here are some ways that I know of right now and I will try to update as I learn more:
- Samaritan’s Purse has crews working in the Albany area. You can fill out a volunteer application form on their website. If you are not able to volunteer, but would like to donate, there is a donate button at the top of the main page on their website. The local phone number is 229.288.4261
- Call the Dougherty County volunteer coordinator at 229-483-6226, 6227, or 6228 to offer volunteer services.
- Volunteer through local churches who are providing disaster relief, shelters, etc.
- First United Methodist Church is a shelter for the night, needing blankets, pillows, socks, sippy cups, baby items & water.
- Providence Church is seeking donations of diapers, formula, nonperishable foods, hygiene items, and toiletries. They also have an online portal for giving to benefit disaster relief.
- First Baptist Church in Albany is providing disaster relief as well.
- Sherwood Baptist Church is working with Samaritan’s Purse. You can also select to make a donation to help Albany in the drop down menu on their giving portal.
- Friendship Missionary Baptist Church is opening a shelter. They also have a need for blankets and pillows. Visit their FB page (linked) for information. I also understand that Samaritan’s Purse is collecting donated items there.
- Donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. You can also donate items at drop-off locations.
- United Way of Southwest Georgia needs volunteers and donations.
- Donate to Mission Change in Albany, GA
- Blush Albany Boutique is collecting clothing donations for some 20 families affected by the tornadoes. See their FB page (linked) for specific item requests. You will receive 20% off when you bring anything to donate.
- Eggs Up Grill in Albany has established a GoFundMe account to help three of their team members who were affected by the storms.
South Georgia, you’re in our hearts and prayers!
With love and hope,