Is it just me, or do you ever have those mornings where you just can’t find a darn thing to wear that you like and feel good in, even though you have a closet full of clothes? Just me? Nah, I didn’t think so. We’ve all been there, right? Especially us ladies because, let’s be honest, this is a girl talk here. Whether we are at “fighting weight” or if we have some excess baggage, there are just days when the we have that busted-can-of-biscuits feeling when getting dressed. What’s with that, seriously?! This was my morning…
- Get up, get breakfast ready and on the table thanks to the help of my awesome husband. (Seriously, we have a morning routine that rocks!!)
- Pack snack for our third grader, get her ready and out the door she goes with Daddy so he can take her to school on his way to work.
- Toss a load of the dog’s blankets in the washer because, YUCK, they reek!
- While the washer is going, make middle schooler’s lunch and check emails, etc.
- Throw the dog’s linens into the dryer and rush up to take a shower.
- Here’s where the crazy hits. Today is going to be unseasonably warm, so I wanted to dress appropriately. Grab a pair of cropped jeans and…oh no…it’s a busted-can-of-biscuits day. Awww man!! So, I think maybe I’ll find a long top and make it work. Only, shoot!, all the long tops I have really look better with open toed shoes and since I’ve had zero time to do my toes OR have them done, that’s not an option. Plan B, a cute tee and scarf with the cropped jeans. Where’s a black tee? Every mom has a black tee she can go to, right?! Evidently not a short-sleeved one for this mom. Throw on a cute crochet top, NOT HAPPENING. Find an orange-ish tee and decide it’s okay. It’s good enough for Target after carpool and that’s all I’m really after at this point in time. Only, crud, it’s apparently lost its shape after a few washes. UGH. Ditch the cute cropped jeans and go to my favorite pair of ripped jeans that I cuff at the bottom. Again I say…good enough for Target.
- Not feeling like a fashionista, I head off to the carpool and then to Target. While in Target, my ever faithful Google Calendar app texts me and reminds me that I’m working the front desk for my volunteer shift today at middle school. EEP! I forgot because it’s a new day for me. Throw it into high gear and Target and dash home because, seriously, the ripped jeans and crazy tee that were Target worthy are NOT middle school front desk worthy. Not even.
- Get home and grab an old faithful, but still CUTE and well structured, black layered t-shirt dress, iron that right quick, throw on a scarf and some boots. Ahhhh…now, I feel like ME. And, that’s good enough too.
So, does that resound to anyone? Do you just get it SO wrong some mornings despite your best efforts? And, you just think, after a point, whatever you have on just has to be good enough for the carpool…or Target…or the grocery store…you get the drift. (No offense to Walmart, but I’d say most of us wake up and roll out of bed Walmart worthy. Can I get a witness? I mean, no one ever made a website about the People of Target, so clearly we are doing okay there.) Those days can just make you feel like a SCHLUMP, can’t they? I know because I just went through it myself. You just find yourself feeling ick and you truly want to go to the store where you are least likely to see anyone you KNOW and just want to get in and out of there so you can skitter on back home. I get it and I lived it today. But, let’s be real here, we all do it. So, go to your normal store. If you see someone you know, don’t be mortified because we’ve all been there. Even the most put together of us has felt that way at some time or another, I’m sure. Being on point all the time is just too much. Every so often, we just need to give ourselves a schlump day and let it be. I tried not to let mine define my morning. In fact, I’m probably going to put those holey jeans back on because they are comfy and I am all about some comfort today. Sure, I like the dress and boots, but comfort is the name of the game for the rest of this day.
You know what’s ironic about my schlump morning? Thirteen years ago, on this very date, I was a bride. All dressed up and done up to the nines. All aglow with wedding and marriage happiness. Today, I’m a happy, blessed and BUSY wife and mom. Today I’m not decked out and I’m not in any finery, for sure, but I’m sure happy where I am. Oh yea, I felt like a sausage this morning for a little bit and I truthfully didn’t want to see a soul I knew at Target, just keeping it real, but it’s better now. When I look at my life on the whole, I see happiness and that’s what matters most. And now, here’s to a HAPPY 13th ANNIVERSARY to my sweetheart and to putting the busted-can-of-biscuits morning behind me to focus on a great day!
PS: A wedding photo from October 27, 2001. I sure do love this man of mine!