I can’t believe I haven’t posted on this blog since January. I’ve had posting intentions, but, well, we all know how those intentions sometimes go and now here I am several months later. So, I’ll just go with the “better late than never” mantra for the blog for now.
We are on the approach to summer break and I am so looking forward to it. The girls’ last day of school is Thursday, May 23. After today, we have three more Mondays and the last few half-days of school before the big break. It is surreal to think that our sweet girls are finishing up fourth and first grades. It almost seems like the first day of school was just last week. But, here we are nearing the end of another great school year and I already have summer fever. Yes, I’m the mom and I don’t work full-time at the school, but I am READY for summer. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you.
- Summer break means a break from the normal routine. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a girl that loves structure and routine most of the time. We get lots of that during the school year. So, during the summer, it’s nice to turn off the alarm clocks and ease up the early bedtimes. I’m sure that by sometime in July, I’ll get the itch to reinstate routine, but I plan to savor many non-structured moments right up until then.
- Summer brings pool time, random adventures, Vacation Bible School and camps. Such great memories are waiting to be made during the summer. I still recall awesome times that I had as a kid playing and hanging out with friends, going to VBS and, of course, at camps.
- Summer brings vacation time. Now, I know that vacations aren’t limited to summer, but since we have a beach trip in the making for this summer, we have a lot of reason to look forward to a fun summer vacation.
- Summer clothes are cuter. I am SO not a cold weather girl. I wear sweaters when it’s cold, but only out of necessity. I try hard not to wear coats as I really don’t like them. Boots and scarves are the only winter accessories I can really get on board with, honestly. So, when it starts getting warmer, I’m a happy lady. I love flip-flops, cute sleeveless tops, sundresses — summer attire is the best! (Let’s not talk about bathing suits though – I don’t know if that will ever fit into my “happy place” frame of mind.)
- Summer means farmers markets are bustling. I grew up in the country and came up eating fresh fruits and vegetables. I don’t have a garden these days, but I still love fresh produce the best.
See, there is a lot to love about summer. Sure, it’ll be hot, but that’s okay by me. I agree with what I was told once – hot is uncomfortable, but cold hurts. I’m good with hot weather. If it gets too hot, stay inside or hit the pool. Give me summer over winter any day. Ahhhhhhhh…come on, summer!