I just made a delicious (if I say so myself) dinner and I wanted to share the recipe. I used my friend Terri’s chicken enchilada recipe and changed it up just a little bit. It’s so good!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
8oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 (5oz) can evaporated milk
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
1 pound chicken, boiled and shredded
1 regular size jar salsa
1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
4oz reduced-fat sour cream
Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Boil and shred chicken. Put into sauce pan and add the jar of salsa, taco seasoning and sour cream. Spoon the chicken mixture into soft flour tortillas; roll and place in lightly greased casserole dish.
For the sauce, place evaporated milk, Velveeta and Rotel in sauce pan and heat together until cheese is melted. Stir consistently – this is quick to burn. Once the cheese is completely melted, pour the sauce over the rolled tortillas in the casserole dish. Cover with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is brown & bubbly.
- I sprinkled some shredded cheese into the tortilla with the chicken mixture before I rolled it. Not a lot – just a little sprinkling.
- If you’d prefer, you can use diced green chiles instead of Rotel tomatoes with chiles.
- I heated the tortillas in the microwave so that they’d be soft and easier to roll.
- I bake in two 8×8 pans and place four rolled tortillas in each. One pan is enough for our family of four.
- For our side dish, I made pinto beans.
Do you have a chicken enchilada recipe? If so, please share.